Follow Edipus

Monday, July 18, 2016

E x p o s e d



Exposure by accident is tricky. When you choose to do it to yourself, it's even trickier.

A friend of mine asked me some time ago if I was ever willing to share my story to the public. I kindly reminded her that I had in fact told my story - in bits and pieces - through radio interviews or speaking casually to friends. To which she volleyed back to me: exactly! Speaking through interviews or to friends about my past, she informed, wasn't the same thing as putting it down in black and white so everyone - Edipus supporters, friends, acquaintances, strangers - could see it.

I couldn't argue with that.

What I could argue about was the simple fact that people get tired of hearing stories. People are degraded by stories. They run from stories and especially if they're about rape. Also - can't people just figure out that because I'm petitioning Edipus to the public makes me related to the subject matter? Can't they put two and two together? Apparently not but that's ok. I spoke to a lot people about this and they totally agreed with my friend: tell your story. It wasn't/isn't about being ashamed about my past. I will NEVER be ashamed or blame myself in any way. That remains fixed and will never waver. It was and is about the exposure. Exposing yourself always seems daunting and a little pushy. Plus our society loves exposure, it feeds off of it and we love to exploit it until it dries up and blows away. But the flip side to this weirdo kind of thinking is, really? Are you serious? The revelation was a simple one: You do have control of what will be said just like you have control over what you're typing at this very moment. Chill out, homie.

So I did. I chilled out and then I wrote my bio. And I'm really, really pleased about how it came out. It isn't too flashy or narcissistic (yuck) but it isn't droll or filled with an insensate delivery. It just is and just like Sinatra (cue music!) I did it my way. Cheesy, I know but it had to be said.

If you're interested, check it out here. I'm very proud of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment